- Who can apply: Any current or former CURE student who is interested in a career in science. You must complete the 10th grade by the start of the internship. Preference will be given to students who have completed their junior and senior year and have a more extensive science background.
- We will award up to a maximum of 8 students. Placements will only be awarded to highly qualified candidates with a demonstrated strong interest in science and are subject to mentor match and availability.
- Cumulative G.P.A.: 2.5 or above
- Math/Science G.P.A.: 3.0 or above
Dates and Deadlines
- Receiving applications: February 10, 2010 to March 26, 2010
- Deadline: All the components of the application package should be uploaded in the online system or received via mail (only applicable to the Official Transcript) by
DEADLINE: March 26th, 2010 at 11:59 PST
- Interviews: April 5 to April 9
- Notification: April 19
- 4-week program: June 21 to July 16, 2010
A complete application package must include the following items:
- Online Application Form. You will need the following information to complete the form: Cumulative GPA; Science and Math GPA; number of science, engineering and math classes taken until now; Research Mentor you prefer to work with (Please review the Potential Summer Projectsand rank the top three (1 being most preferred, 3 being least preferred) that you feel best match your interests).
- Résumé. A few sample categories that you may want to include: Education, Professional Experience, Lab/Technical Skills, Honors/Awards/Scholarships, Extracurricular Activities (academic, community, volunteering, etc).
- Personal Statement. The personal statement helps us to review your interests and to determine your motivation for applying for the internship. It should be clear and easy to read. We should be able to view a synopsis of your background (highlight relevant career, academic, and civic accomplishments) and a summary of where you wish to be in the future. For more details download the Personal Statement – Instructions.
- One letter of recommendation. One letter of recommendation is requested. Potential recommenders are: teachers, professors, academic or research advisors/mentors, employers, etc. You should ask someone that can speak directly to your science and laboratory skills. Please note that Michelle McCombs will not write letters for this program.
Please download the instructions and give it to your recommender (Letter of Recommendation – Instructions). IMPORTANT: Once you fill out their information in the online application system they will automatically receive an email notification that you are requesting a letter of recommendation from them. Also they will receive instructions on how to up-load the letter in the online application system. Please contact your recommender in advance to request his/her support (don’t let this be a surprise!). Also, we strongly recommend that you allow enough time for them to write the letter before the deadline.
- A current Unofficial Transcript (to be uploaded online) and an Official Transcript (to be mailed to us).
INSTRUCTIONS FOR SUBMITTING APPLICATIONS
ELECTRONIC SUBMISSION OF ALL DOCUMENTS (except transcripts) IS REQUIRED
- To apply CLICK HERE
- Upload your Résumé, Personal Statement, and Unofficial Transcript—Save the documents in separate pdf files and upload them in the system. Please clearly name the documents e.g.John Smith – Personal Statement.
- Letter of Recommendation. Provide he name and contact information of your recommenders when requested by the system. The system will automatically contact the person and he/she will upload the document. You will be notified when the letter has been uploaded.
- Request an official transcript from your school to be sent to the below address. Transcripts must be received by the deadline
CURE 2010 Summer Cancer Research Internship Program
Attention: Michelle R. McCombs, M.S., M.A.
NSF Center for Biophotonics Science and Technology
University of California, Davis
2700 Stockton Blvd., Ste. 1400
Sacramento, CA 95817
TEL: (916) 734-8600 FAX: (916) 734-0796
To ensure that you receive the information that you need, please address all communications and questions by e-mail to email@example.com